Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

software upgrade on supervisor engine redundancy

Hello there,

Does anyone please advice me why software upgrade on supervisor engine redundancy has to operate in RPR mode? Can we do in SSO mode?

I have seen it on Catalyst 4500 Series Switch Cisco IOS Software Configuration Guide but did not see any explanations.

?Reloads the redundant supervisor engine and brings it back online (using the new release of the Cisco IOS software).

Note Before proceeding to Step 10, ensure that the switch is operating in RPR mode.?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008062ce91.html

Please advice.

Thanks in advance,

Nitass

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: software upgrade on supervisor engine redundancy

Because when you are running in RPR mode, it allows you to run a different IOS version in the primary/active SUP engine while performing the upgrade in the secondary engine. When running SSO, both engines must run the same IOS version at all times, therefore you must reboot both at the same time in order to regain the config-sync.

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks

Re: software upgrade on supervisor engine redundancy

Thanks for reply. Did you mean we have to change to RPR mode before upgrading software? Then change back to SSO mode.

Am I correct?

Thanks in advance,

Nitass

Views
Helpful
Replies