cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SONET connexion using Cat6500 Gigabit Ethernet Module

chcastaldo
Level 1
Level 1

We are attempting to implement an OC-3 SONET Ring connexion (site-to-site) using a WS-X6408A module, but are experiencing time-outs when remote users are working in particular applications. We have had Verizon do thorough tests on the SONET and have seen it run with no errors and at the rated speed. The CISCO set-up is as follows: both ports (remote and local) are set for "autonegotiate" flowcontrol and flowcontrol "desired."; both ports have the same VLAN # and both MSFCs (remote and local) have a VLAN interface with that same VLAN # as well as having distinct IP addresses on the same subnet.

The particulars on the CAT6500 switches are as follows:

NmPSW: 5.5(1)

Hardware version: 2.0

WS-X6408A:

HW: 1.3

FW: 5.4(2)

SW: 5.5(1)

It seems to me that this might be a flowcontrol problem; we have changed (on both sides) "desired" to "on" with the same poor results.

6 Replies 6

sirpa_k
Level 1
Level 1

The other day I read, this may not be a flow control problem alone.

You are, no doubt, correct. What elsde do you suspect it might be?

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Speed mismatch possibly. How hard are you driving that gig interface ?

Minimally --- when we test this during the evening after 8:00 PM, there are no more than 10-12 users still working. If this were indeed a "speed mismatch," how would one overcome this?

hbaerten
Level 4
Level 4

I'm not sure I understand (so maybe I can learn something here)... are you using a GBIC (which?) that allows GE over Sonet? Or is there some device inbetween?

tia

Herbert

Yes, we are using a GBIC port on a WS-X6408A module in a CAT 6509 switch. This is GE over SONET. The piece of equipment "in between" is a Cisco ONS15454 MUX which is the property of Verizon, the SONET provider.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: