Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Span tree network Traffic

I recently upgraded my network switches to 3 2950 switches. These 3 switches are configured with cross over cables (port 23 on switch #1 connected to Port 23 on switch #2, Port 24 on switch #2 connected to Port 24 on switch #3)

When I ran a 2 minute ethereal capture on my network more than 50% of the traffic was Cisco spanning tree

This doesnt seem correct to me,

I am very new to Cisco as these new switches are my first Cisco hardware. As I dont speak Ciscoease yet I have been using the Java applet to configure the switches, This morning when I went to the applet it shows my first switch but says that the other 2 are down, However computers on the other 2 switches are working fine.

Any help will be appreciated.

Also one other issue, I am noticing that DHCP seems very slow to issue an address.

Thanks

Greg

3 REPLIES

Re: Span tree network Traffic

Well, the first thing you have to remember is that if you run etherreal on a switchport of a properly configured network, you will probably only see the traffic that gets broadcast or sent out to each port. If your network isn't very populated (ie: not many arp requests), spanning-tree might be the highest traffic you see. You could try spanning another port to see actual-traffic if that's what you want.

As far as why are you seeing so much spanning-tree traffic, well - thats probably related to why DHCP takes so long to issue an address. On all ports EXCEPT your links to other switches, put "spanning-tree portfast" in the interface configuration. This will allow that port to skip the spanning-tree process when a machine is booting. This 45+ second process will slow down DHCP or PXE machines to the point that they might not get an address in time. All end-user/server ports should be configured this way!!

Hope this helps!!

Anonymous
N/A

Please clarify - are you suggesting that the lan goes through a spanning tree reconfiguration every time a switch port comes up as a computer is booted?

No, I was not suggesting that...

There are other types of STP traffic that can be sent out, for instance, TCN's are very common, esp. on networks that do not have end-user ports configured correctly with portfast on.

Please see here for more details.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094797.shtml

Views
Helpful
Replies