Views
Helpful
Replies

Span Tree Vlan with VTP

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

I have 2 cisco c2950 switches, I have 2 problems:

1- I can't create more than 1001 vlan..(I have configured the both switches with vtp transparent mode).

2- when I issue the command (sh vtp status), I noticed that vlans supported locally 64 & number of existing vlans are 63.

(a)does that means Spantree won't operate after vlan number 64. If so? how would I solve this issue?

(b) what is the possiblity that allows me to assign more than 1001 (Extended vlans) in cisco c2950 series?

10 Replies 10

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

The box that you have is a 2950 with SMI, standard image and that doesnot have the features you are looking for.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_data_sheet09186a00801cfb71.html

HTH,

-amit singh

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

Catalyst 2950 switches that run the standard software image (SI) support 64 VLANs; Catalyst 2950 and Catalyst 2955 switches that run the enhanced software image (EI) support 250 VLANs. Refer to the release notes for the list of switches that support each image. VLANs are identified with a number from 1 to 4094 when the EI is installed and 1 to 1005 when the SI is installed. VLAN IDs 1002 through 1005 are reserved for Token Ring and FDDI VLANs. VTP only learns normal-range VLANs, with VLAN IDs 1 to 1005; VLAN IDs greater than 1005 are extended-range VLANs and are not stored in the VLAN database. The switch must be in VTP transparent mode when you create VLAN IDs from 1006 to 4094.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12119ea1/2950scg/swvlan.htm#1092283

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

ur message is so helpfull, thanks.

I would like u to give me ur suggestion about using any other Series in order to accomplish my company goals since we have a huge Network now & we will be having a lot of layer 2 vlans, also I won't any kind of loops to be occured in my Network?

what kind of Series (Switches) supports my previous speech that u recommend? any ideas,

thanks again,

Hi Friend,

AFAIK The Catalyst 3550 switch supports 1005 VLANs in VTP client, server, and transparent modes. VLANs are identified with a number from 1 to 4094. VLAN IDs 1002 through 1005 are reserved for Token Ring and FDDI VLANs. VTP only learns normal-range VLANs, with VLAN IDs 1 to 1005; VLAN IDs greater than 1005 are extended-range VLANs and are not stored in the VLAN database. The switch must be in VTP transparent mode when you create VLAN IDs from 1006 to 4094.

The switch supports per-VLAN spanning-tree plus (PVST+) and rapid PVST+ with a maximum of 128 spanning-tree instances. One spanning-tree instance is allowed per VLAN.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/12120ea2/3550scg/swvlan.htm#wp1394877

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

ok, In the mean time I will try to upgrade my current switches from (Standard Image) to (Enhanced Image), the DRAM is 16 on both switches with Flash 32.

Do u have the enhanced image that supports the above?

Appreciate ur cooperation,

Hi Friend,

Can you update the complete model number of your switch?

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

I have 2 switches their model numbers as foolows:-

1- version 12.1(6)EA2c

(c2950-I6Q4L2-M)

flash: c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-6.EA2c.bin

2- Version 12.1(22)EA1

c2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M)

c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA1.bin

Also be informed both switches flash size is 32 & DRAm is 16.

Appreciate ur feedback

Hi Ankur,

Any updates about the IOS flash Image,

if u find the suitable enhanced image that compatible with my hardware above, please send it to me : my e-mail address is (msobier@bayanat.com.sa).

Thanks for ur help and cooperation,

Hi Friend,

I am sorry to say I cannot download image and sent it to you cause neither I have that account nor my organisation email will support such heavy attachments I think.

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

ok, No pblms, U did a lot for me, but one more thing, could u tell me or write down the E1 IOS image that compatible with my hardware & then I will try searching and download it my self.

Thanks again,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: