cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

spanning tree function

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

I was told yesterday about putting a command on the root switch saying diameter 4 etc, what does this diameter command do ?

4 Replies 4

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

This determines the convergnece timers the Spanning Tree protocol. The larger the diameter of the network, the longer the timers have to be to ensure stability.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

so what do I do, do I work out the longest path between the 2 end switches and then use this as the diameter ? does this command just optimise ?

so what do I do, do I work out the longest path between the 2 end switches and then use this as the diameter ? does this command just optimise ?

The command sets the root bridge. Work out the number of hops from the root to the furthest switch, add the number of hops from the root to the second furthest switch, and add them together to give the diameter. If it is less than 7, then you could leave the default at 7 - that part of it is just optimisation. But setting the root is quite fundamental, even if you leave the timers at the default values.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: