Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Spanning Tree interoperability between Cisco using PVST+ & Xylan

Are there compatibility issues with cisco devices using PVST+ and non-cisco devices using traditional 802.1d spanning tree. I want to connect a cat6509s (ver 6.3.1) to a network with Xylan OminSwitch 9x.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Spanning Tree interoperability between Cisco using PVST+ & X

There are design issues and topology layouts that one must consider when connectiong a PVST+ to CST environment. To say there is a "compatability issues" is not generally the case. I take compatability issues as meaning connecting 6509 to the Xylan *will* result in a major problem regardless of design or topology.

Community Member

Sorry for such a vague question. To be more specific. I have two cat6509s, with redundant links to two xylan omniswitch 9x. The links would use 802.1Q trunking with PVST+ on the cat6509 side and CST on the Xylan side. I want to bridge vlans 2-20 throughout the network so I'm trunking VLANs 2-20. I would make sure that the priorities of the cat6509 were higher than the Xylans so I could leave the STP roots on the Xylans. Would this work, or am I going to have STP havoc?

Cisco Employee

If the Xylans are acting as edge switches and only connect to the 6500, it should be fine.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content