Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning-tree port priority when more than 255 ports

rtwwpad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Just rereading my spanning-tree stuff and I noticed that the port priority command is 8bits.8bits where the first 8 bits is priority and can be set and the second 8 bits is the position of the port on the switch i.e. fa0/10 would give 128.10 as the port priority, 128 being the default.

So far, so good. what happens when you have more than 255 ports in the system. E.g. a 6513 with dual supervisors and 10 48 port copper cards. How does the system work out port priority then?

Sorry I don't have one around to test it out myself. Would appreciate an answer though.

Thanks

Phil

1 Reply 1

Francois Tallet
Level 7
Level 7

In that case we will steal some bits from the user configurable priority to encode more ports. I think it went into the standard as part of 802.1t (along with extended sysid). Right now, on switch ports for instance, we already allocated 4 bits to the port number (which is now 12 bits) and the configurable priority is by increments of 16 (because 4 bits were removed).

If we had to support more than 4k ports, we would have to reduce even further the number of bits left for the priority.

Regards,

Francois

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: