Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

spanning tree ports

I am a little confused, I have been reading my cisco book, Can anyone tell me the difference between the root port, and a designated port ?, say I had 4 switches, and they were connected in a loop, how may designated ports and root ports would there be ?

thanks

Carlos

2 REPLIES

Re: spanning tree ports

can anyone help !!

VIP Purple

Re: spanning tree ports

Hello,

let´s say you have 4 switches which are connected as indicated by you:

Switch1 <--> Switch2 <--> Switch3 <--> Switch4 <--> Switch1

Let´s now assume that Switch1 is the root switch. The concept of root and designated port can be described as following: a root port is the port on a non-root switch pointing to the root switch. A designated port is a port leading away from the root switch.

So, keeping the above in mind, the switch ports indicated would be as following:

Switch1 (Designated Port) <--> (Root Port) Switch2 (Designated Port) <--> (Root Port) Switch3 (Designated Port <--> (Root Port) Switch4 (Designated Port/Blocked) <--> (Designated Port/Blocked) Switch1

As you can see, the root switch has only designated ports, because a root port would be the port pointing towards the root, which is not the case for either port on the root switch.

Does that make sense ?

Regards,

GP

Views
Helpful
Replies