cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning tree type vlan-bridge

dan.lowry
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Site with 4 vlans separated by an MSFC. Currently we're bridging on the MSFC between the VLAN's since we need to pass lat traffic across all of the Vlan's.

This being the case, there is one root for all of the vlan's, and spanning tree issues on one vlan are propigated to the entire campus. We plan on turning on spanning tree type vlan-bridge on the MSFC so that each vlan can have it's own instance of spanning tree.

Does anyone have any experience with vlan-bridge that can provide any

"gotchas" that you've run into when turning it on?

Thanks !

1 Accepted Solution
6 Replies 6

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What is your question?

sorry, i hit enter by mistake the first time, question should be complete now.

Thanks, that's very helpful.

One question about that example.

It looks like the MSFC is being forced into the root bridge role for all of the VLAN's that have bridging turned on . Is there a reason why this would not be deligated to the Switches rather than the MSFC?

A suggestion with a question.

What is the potential to setup a GRE tunnel for the LAT traffic between the different VLAN interfaces?

Can someone comment on the feasibility of building the above configuration. I would not allow any other traffic through the tunnel except LAT.

I may be wrong, but I believe that only Layer 3 routable protocols can be pushed over a GRE Tunnel, IE IPX, Appletalk, etc. If that is the case, then Lat, which is layer 2 only cannot be encapsulated in GRE.