Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Spanning Tree

Hi ,

I have a query regarding STP.While going thro the documentation of STP i am not able to understand the TCN BPDU.

Will really appericate if somebody can provide me any tips to understand.

Rgds,

Renu

2 REPLIES

Re: Spanning Tree

TCN is a topology change notification in spanning tree.

What it means is that the switch you are seeing these BPDUs on is getting notification that somewhere in the spanning tree topology there was a change.

An example of when this could occur is if you dont use the portfast command on ports connected to end hosts. Then someone unplus the cable between the switch and the host to move it or something. This yeilds a TCN.

Other examples include bad cabling that can cause a link to flap, etc. Just watch where they are coming from by looking at the BPDU, note the source BID, and search the CAM/mac-address table for the switch. Also, you can do show spanning-tree and note the BID of your switch and upstream switch to see who its coming from.

Andy

Re: Spanning Tree

hi andy,

U have solved my query to an extent and rest of the part i will try to grab by finding some more documentation based on the same.

Thanks a lot for help.

Rgds,

Renu

Views
Helpful
Replies