Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Speed and Duplex setting on the 100M Trunk interface

I found from CCO that the best practice guide is hardcoding for 10/100 and auto for giga interface.

what about on the 100M trunk interface between CISCO swtiches? I think auto is better to utilize flow control

Thanks in advance,

2 REPLIES

Re: Speed and Duplex setting on the 100M Trunk interface

Since you are trunking Cisco switch to Cisco switch, auto negotiation should be fine. If you were trunking say between Cisco and a Nortel switch, then I would definately hard code. I think it's still a best practice to hard code though even if you are trunking between two Cisco devices. That way you know the devices are always operating according to your expectations.

Josh

Re: Speed and Duplex setting on the 100M Trunk interface

I know the hardcode is simple and works as exactly expected but it's limited to utilize the 802.3u such as flow control. I'm thinking the trunk interface between CISCO switches can be configured auto rather than hardcode due to they are fully compatible. Any more clear reason which way is best between CISCO switches?

Thanks,

Views
Helpful
Replies