Views
Helpful
Replies

Speed/bandwidth on serial interface

vasista
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

If I have 2 routers connected back to back with a cross cable, is there any way i can control the bandwidth of the channel between the router. actually i need to control the bandwidth to set up a test enviourment.

any solutions ?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

vcjones
Level 5
Level 5

You may have noticed that to bring up the link, the router connected to the DCE end of the cable required the configuration paramter "clockrate xxxx." The number is the data rate used for the link, in bits/sec. So to emulate an E1 link, set xxxx to 2000000. To emulate a 2 B-channel ISDN MLPPP link, use 128000. Use 33000 for an analog dial up. Etc.

For example, on one of my lab routers I have:

interface Serial0/0

description Link to Router 4 Serial 0

no ip address

no ip directed-broadcast

encapsulation frame-relay

no fair-queue

clockrate 1000000

If you need to emulate varing delay/packet loss behaviors, look into the NISTnet package for Linux.

Good luck and have fun!

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

vcjones
Level 5
Level 5

You may have noticed that to bring up the link, the router connected to the DCE end of the cable required the configuration paramter "clockrate xxxx." The number is the data rate used for the link, in bits/sec. So to emulate an E1 link, set xxxx to 2000000. To emulate a 2 B-channel ISDN MLPPP link, use 128000. Use 33000 for an analog dial up. Etc.

For example, on one of my lab routers I have:

interface Serial0/0

description Link to Router 4 Serial 0

no ip address

no ip directed-broadcast

encapsulation frame-relay

no fair-queue

clockrate 1000000

If you need to emulate varing delay/packet loss behaviors, look into the NISTnet package for Linux.

Good luck and have fun!

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

tahnk you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: