Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Split PPP connection

I would like to split my 1.5mps PPP connection into two, one 1mbps, and one 512kbps. Which I would like to use the 512kpbs connection for connection to 2 specific IP addresses and the 1mpbs for the rest of the network. How can I do that? Thankyou very much.

4 REPLIES

Re: Split PPP connection

You will need to time-slot channelize your line. Consult your DSU/CSU vendor for information about how to do this. Your router will also need multiple serial interfaces, or a special channelizable interface, to do this.

So I have to contact my carrier in order to do this? Cant it just be some configuration on the router itself? please let me know the commands that I will have to use in the configuration.

The other responce was spot on. A channalized T-1 interface or drop and insert CSU/DSU with 2 serial lines will work.

Another way to accomplish this with the hardware you have is to use frame relay encapsulation.

Assign 2 subinterfaces, use frame relay traffic shaping on each subinterface to limit bandwidth.

In order to have frame relay work in a point to point circuit, either disable LMI on both routers or turn on Frame relay switching on one router.

Hi,

The other ideas are right on, but heres another idea...

You could use the existing PPP connection and use CAR (Committed Access Rate) to rate-limit the traffic to 512k for the 2 IP addresses and rate-limit the rest to 1mbps.

Views
Helpful
Replies