cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Split VLAN over routed backbone

mohawk53
Level 1
Level 1

I am attempting to set up a split VLAN over a routed backbone using ethernet connections. I have one router on each segment with 2 VLANs on each segment. I need to know how to set up the IP addressing scheme for the subinterfaces on the routers. I realize that members of the same VLAN have to be on the same subnet, but the configurations I have now are not working.One segment is 191.16.30.0 and the other is 191.16.40.0.

2 Replies 2

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

When you say split, are you trying to configure the same IP subnets at 2 places in the network and use routers to get between them? Thats possible with bridging but isn't clean with routing. It is possible to do this with routing (static host routes, NAT).

Please give us some more details...

Erick

johnbroadway
Level 1
Level 1

You may well have to use bridging for this.

A fairly recent feature may also help you - UTI (but only on high end kit currently)

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120limit/120s/120s18/uti.htm#xtocid30

The way I did this was to create on the router's Ethernet port sub interfaces (one per Vlan using ISL) this was connected to a trunk port on a seperate CAT switch where the VLAN's were seperated out. The routers serial interface was configured with frame relay PVC's which were bridged onto the Ethernet's subinterfaces (one per network / PVC).

This allowed me to bridge the Layer 2 networks accros the WAN and extend them to different sites.

I wouldn't recommend this normaly but it helped me get over a migration from ATM LANE issue!

Hope that helps

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: