cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPT set up for Dual 6500 connection

gilson_machado
Level 1
Level 1

I have two Cat6509 to interconnect. One in production, using SPT priority 8192 for all VLAN (so it is the root). I need to interconenct a second 6509 in parallel for reduncancy (load balacing and alternative path). I will not be able to use layer 3 immediatelly, but later one when I free up the SUP gig interfaces.

How do I have to configure the SPT for the second SW6509? Should I keep the same priority or increase the priority to keep only one as a root?

2 Replies 2

Hello,

it depends. Are you running ISL trunks between the switches ? If so, you could use PVST (Per-VLAN-Spanning Tree) to load balance traffic (at layer-2) by forwarding some VLANs on one trunk and other Vlans on another trunk without causing a Spanning Tree loop. That would be better than just increasing the STP priority for the second switch and leaving the first switch as the root.

Regards,

Georg

Hi Georg,

Thanks, but I will use DOT1Q for the trunks between the switches. I am also planning to have the MSFC2 connected. In fact I intend to have both swithces interconnected in reduncancy. So if one Switch goes down I will have the other handle the core network for that site. Have you done a 6509 interconnection?

Is there any rule of thumb to follow?

Regards,

Gilson