Views
Helpful
Replies

SPTBPDUTX - High Utilization

a-rohilla
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

In my core switch when i do sh proc cpu i see overall utilization of the sup(SUP1A with MSFC-3) 30-34%, the 2 contributing processes to this high utilization are sptbpdutx(14%)and sptbpdurx(15%). What is the cause of high utilization of these 2 processes and how to detect it.

Regards

6 Replies 6

a-rohilla
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Vijay

When i see output of command "sh spantree statistics 1/1 2" then i see config bpdu's xmitted (port/VLAN) increasing every sec while config bpdu'd recieved and TCN bpdu's not increasing, and this happens at each trunk port of core switch, hellow timer is set to default 2 sec, what i feel is i should increase the hello timer since it is sending config bpdu's every 2 sec. what do u feel ?

Regards

vijayasankar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Those two process are related to Spanning tree.

You need to check the stability of spanning tree in the network to trace the root cause.

-VJ

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you are doing a lot of trunking then "manually" prune off any vlans that are not needed across trunked links , if you have it wide open then the switch has to allocate spanning tree instances to all vlans allowed which drives up the cpu...

But can i increase the hello timer from 2 sec since config bpdu are sent every 2 sec which is causing high config bpdu transmit thru the trunk.

Regards

I would not mess with the default values , if spanning is causing high cpu there is a reason for it .

Pruning is the only thing which i can do, is there anything else also which i should look for to reduce this utilization.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: