Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

squeezing an extra useable address from a /30 subnet

I've got a statically addressed, /30 "public" subnet on a dsl Internet

connection. The usual addressing is in place: a.b.c.0 is the subnet,

a.b.c.1 is the "host", a.b.c.2 is the DSL router's Eth0 and a.b.c.3 is broadcast.

I'm thinking about adding a host configured to use the a.b.c.3 address and

deliberately "mis-configuring" all of the devices with a /29 subnet mask so the new host's address won't be seen as a "broadcast" address. I know this would prevent me from getting to the "a.b.c.4" subnet, but since this is likely to be just another residential DSL user that I'll never need to talk to, I don't much care.

There aren't any routing protocols in use on my subnet. I can't think of anything of consequence that's now doing any layer 3 broadcasting on my "public" subnet.

Based on my firewall logs (logging port scans of sequential addresses) I

know that my ISP is forwarding packets to my "legitimate" broadcast address

(despite their general tendency to block directed broadcasts). I have control over the router (Cisco 675) configuration, all hosts and DNS.

Can anyone think of a reason that this won't work?

1 REPLY

Re: squeezing an extra useable address from a /30 subnet

That will work because the upstream router (your ISP) will still have /30 on their interface so when it sees a packet from a.b.c.3 it will treat is as a directed broadcast and not forward it on.

Views
Helpful
Replies