Views
Helpful
Replies

SSH Timeouts When Crossing Router

andyhsu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm encountering an issue where SSH connections from the outside coming into our network will timeout after a few minutes. Keepalives are enabled, and I know it's not the firewall because SSH connections going between networks connected through the firewall stay up forever. We have a 2600 series router acting as the gateway, and it's where we've isolated the problem since SSH connections going through the router into our network or the DMZ both experience the timeout problem. I would like to know if there is a setting that can fix this, or a debug mode that may be able to confirm the router as the source of the problem. Thanks!

--A.Hsu

3 Replies 3

pflunkert
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

for a correct answer we must see the configuration. But have you controlled the session timeouts on the router?

Are you referring to the session-timeout command? I believe it's currently set at default since it doesn't show up in a sh run. I guess I can try extending that time by a few minutes and adding the output keyword as well. I'll post again if that doesn't solve the problem. Thanks for pointing that out.

--A.Hsu

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

If you have access lists defined on those router interfaces, it might be helpful to see those as well.

Scott