Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack configuration in Cat 3550

ayram23
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have connected two cat 3550 in point-to-point stack connection. I want to know the software configuration part of this. Will there be any master slave mode? how many management IPs will be there for this stack? will all the 48 interfaces will appear in a single CLI?

Thanks & Regards

RR

6 Replies 6

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Hi as such there is not stack configuration with 3550, you cna configure it for switch cluster. I think you are getting confused with the staccking of 3750's which has the pure stacking features.

As such there is no Master and slave mode in 3550. You can mnage the whole cluster with a single IP address.

will all the 48 interfaces will appear in a single CLI??????

You will be able to magnage all the switches in the switch cluster with a single IP and all the switches will appear in teh switch cluster.

Please see the link below :

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/12225sec/3550scg/swclus.htm

HTH,

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

The latest version of IOS in Cat 3550 switch does n't support clustering. Older version of IOS alone supports clustering.

Kinldy let me know if there is anyother way in which i can do stack configuration.

Rgds,

RR

Hi,

Please paste a show version from your switch.

The link that I pasted is from the lastest IOS's switch configuration guide 12.2(25)SEC release in july 2005.

I still believe that you can set up a switch cluster on 3550.

The Point to point stacking that you have setup is a gigastack configuration, which will give you 1000 MBPS full duplex backplane connectivity with stack switch switches. Still you need to set up switches as a switch cluster so that you cna manage them using a single IP.

Switch Clustering technology allows customers to manage a stack of devices within a wiring closet or a broadly dispersed set of devices across a campus as a single IP entity. Switch Clustering technology uses standard TCP/IP packets to distribute and collect management information for all switches in the cluster. Switch Clustering supports a broad range of physical interconnections, including the GigaStack GBIC.

regards,

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

We have successfully configured the clustering in Cat 3550 switch......

Thanks for the help.....but still i'm not able to install CMS and configure the switches from my PC.....

So i have installed Cisco Network Assistant....Can you tell me why CMS is not working Cat 3550....

rgds,

RR

Hi,

Did you install the Tar file image on your box. You need a tar file image which has HTML files in int. You need to extract those file using command "archive download-sw ". Once you have those HTML files in the flash, enable HTTP server using global config commend" ip http server ". Also please check that you have the Java plug-in installed on you PC to access the CMS.

If you want you can also use CNA,but with CNA you can manage only one switch.

Please check the following link to download the software:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/12225sec/ol7451.htm#wp68055

HTH,

-amit singh

Hi,

CNA can manage multiple devices. If devices are part of a cluster then type the IP address of the cluster command switch in the connect dialog of CNA or you can create a Community and add the devices that you wish to manage to the community. If there are access points and routers in the network then it is beeter to use Community to manage them as it is not possible to add access points and routers to a cluster.

Thanks,

Ajang