Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacking 3750

bws
Level 1
Level 1

I've got couple of stcking questions

1) When ever i add a switch to a stack (all 3750 swicthes)and it becomes a member of stack it looses al of its preconfigured port information i.e. vlan, voice vlan etc.. and i re need to configure all the ports accordingly. Why is this? is this how stacking works or is there any workarround to get ridd of loosing the port info from the switch?

Second question

2) I've 3 3750 switches. When i first do a stack between two swicthes, it goes well , but when i try to add the third swicth to them, the third switch does not become member of stack and after reload it hangs and the RPS light on the switch remains on continuosly.

5 Replies 5

balajitvk
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Adil,

Think of stacked switches as one big switch

When you migrate from unstack to stacked a master switch will be elected. The master switch gives each individual switch its configuration. All switches must be using the same IOS version.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_white_paper09186a00801b096a.shtml#wp41016

and could u mention the ios version of the thrid switch which is finding prob. while adding.

Rate if it does,

Rgs

Adil,

Can you paste the sh ver of the all the 3 switches.

Narayan

bws
Level 1
Level 1

Yeh guys your are right. their is difference in version. Current stack version is 12.1(19) and the switch which i am having problem adding to the stack has version 12.2(25).

But guys what is the answer to my first question i.e

When ever i add a switch to a stack (all 3750 swicthes)and it becomes a member of stack it looses al of its preconfigured port information i.e. vlan, voice vlan etc.. and i re need to configure all the ports accordingly. Why is this? is this how stacking works or is there any workarround to get ridd of loosing the port info from the switch?

Appreciate all of you.

Rgds,

Adil

Hi Adil,

As i mentioned above, When you migrate from unstack to stacked a master switch will be elected. The master switch gives each individual switch its configuration.

When the stack ports detect electromechanical activity, each port starts to transmit information about its switch. When the complete set of switches is known, the stack elects one of the members to be the master switch, which will be responsible for maintaining and updating configuration files, routing information, and other stack information. The entire stack will have a single IP address that will be used by all the switches.

Just go thro. this link under Adding New Members column,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_white_paper09186a00801b096a.shtml#wp41051

Hope it will clear ur doubt,

Rate if it does,

Rgs.

Thanks Balaji,

I cant find any comments about ETHERNET port infomation geting deleted and being pure blank after becoming member of stack, neither it replicated the information from stack master ethernet port to stack member ethernet port.

Appreciate your comments.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: