Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

stacking cisco

what is the preferred method of clustering /stacking 2950 switches?

4 REPLIES

Re: stacking cisco

Neither if you follow Cisco's design guidelines.....

The 'stacking' with 2950's (and 3550, 2900XL, 3500XL) is NOT a stacking technology whereby all devices appear as a single entity, it is purely a managment thing so that when you open a Web browser to the 'stack' it shows all the switches together. That is all it gives you really.

From a Spanning-Tree point of view each switch is a bridge so the STP topology is based on this.

Have a read of the Campus Design Guidelines on CCO to understand the preferred method of deployment - single VLAN per switch (plus voice VLAN if required).

If you must span multiple 2950's together in a common VLAN I would recommend just managing them individually - all they require is an IP address each....

HTH

Andy

thanks for the quick response...

can you confirm whether these Gigabit Interface Converter's are still available, My management seem to believe that Cisco have withdrawn them and suggest using SX GBICs.

Yes, they are still available. I got few of them Last week for 3500XL's.You need to check the availability with your local reseller.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps5455/products_data_sheet09186a00800a1789.html

regards,

-amit singh

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content