cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacking issues -> STP

william2u
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guyz, i'm wondering about the stp issues for stacking. i got 2 switch and they are stacked, and i also pull a UTP cable to connect this 2 swtich as a uplink trunk port.

1)Am i goin to face STP looping issues in this scenario?

2)theoretically, STACKING is logically combines 2 switches to form a logical switch. So ther should'n have looping issue in the scenario, am i rite ?

Thanks in millions

William

3 Replies 3

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

It depends a lot on what stacking technology you are using...

If you have 3750s with the stackwise connectors, then you effectively have a single switch... You also wouldn't need the extra UTP cable as the stackwise connectors form a redundant ring topology...

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

but what if customer accidentally connect a a extra UTP cable ?

Hi

In that case the switch will see the BPDUs (it's own BPDUs actually) and will then put the port into spanning-tree blocked state to break the loop.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: