Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Stacking

what is stacking and how does it work?

how to configure stacking on switch?

and how can i select master and the slaves?

what is the procedure if i want to add extra one swith in stack?

which one is the best solution etherchannel, HSRP or Stacking?

dporter

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: Stacking

Stacking is purely a hardware solution. If you purchase a stackable switch, it comes with the port and the cables. You connect this port with the cable to another stackable switch and within the running config it appears as a single switch.

The stacking configuration is plug and play. For more information on Master/Slave selection, please read:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12114ea1/3750scg/swstack.htm

Etherchannel, HSRP and stacking are 3 totally different solutions.

Etherchannel is having multiple links (fiber or copper) connected to/from a switch. It requires software configuration at both ends in order to negociate the protocols.

HSRP is having a virtual IP being shared between multiple devices. It's a software solution.

Please rate this post if it helped.

Thanks

Re: Stacking

what is stacking and how does it work?

>>A switch stack is a set of up to nine Catalyst 3750 switches connected through their StackWise ports. One of the switches controls the operation of the stack and is called the stack master. The stack master and the other switches in the stack are stack members. The stack members use the Cisco StackWise technology to behave and work together as a unified system. Layer 2 and Layer 3 protocols present the entire switch stack as a single entity to the network.

how to configure stacking on switch?

>> It's a matter of connecting the stackwise cable:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12225see/scg/swstack.htm#wp1044402

This link have a picture of the recommended stackwise configurations:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a0080337702.html#wp1151552

and how can i select master and the slaves?

>> The switch that is a member of the stack with the highest priority will become master, refer to the link above.

what is the procedure if i want to add extra one swith in stack?

>> Refer to the link above.

which one is the best solution etherchannel, HSRP or Stacking?

>> You are asking about the technology feature that is independent of each other. You can stack and channel at the same time, it not one way or another another. HSRP is a Layer 3 redundancy feature can can also interact with other stacks. You do not do HSRP within the stack, that would not make sense since stack is giving a single CLI to control all the switches.

Please rate helpful posts.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content