Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standby alt command

Can someone tell me what the "alt" part of this command is: standby 102 priority 110 preempt alt standby 102 priority 110 preempt. I cant seem to find any documentation that explains this. This is from version 12.1(26) code.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Standby alt command

Hi H,

The configuration which is after "alt" keyword is for secondary msfc.

When you are configuring primary MSFC with "standby 102 priority 110 preempt" you cannot access the secondary msfc so to configure secondary msfc from primary msfc you use the keyword "alt"

When you enable the Config Sync RuntimeStatus, the configuration mode on the nondesignated MSFC is disabled; only the EXEC mode is still available. Configuration of both MSFCs is made through the console or a Telnet session on the designated MSFC.

To configure both MSFCs from a single console, enter the alt keyword to specify an alternate configuration. When specifying the alternate configuration, the configuration specified before the alt keyword relates to the MSFC on the supervisor engine in slot 1 of the switch; the configuration specified after the alt keyword relates to the MSFC on the supervisor engine in slot 2.

Read this link for more details

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sw_7_2/confg_gd/redund.htm#wp1037385

HTH

Ankur

3 REPLIES

Hi H,

The configuration which is after "alt" keyword is for secondary msfc.

When you are configuring primary MSFC with "standby 102 priority 110 preempt" you cannot access the secondary msfc so to configure secondary msfc from primary msfc you use the keyword "alt"

When you enable the Config Sync RuntimeStatus, the configuration mode on the nondesignated MSFC is disabled; only the EXEC mode is still available. Configuration of both MSFCs is made through the console or a Telnet session on the designated MSFC.

To configure both MSFCs from a single console, enter the alt keyword to specify an alternate configuration. When specifying the alternate configuration, the configuration specified before the alt keyword relates to the MSFC on the supervisor engine in slot 1 of the switch; the configuration specified after the alt keyword relates to the MSFC on the supervisor engine in slot 2.

Read this link for more details

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sw_7_2/confg_gd/redund.htm#wp1037385

HTH

Ankur

Thanks, That makes sense now. I have never used MSFC redundancy, other than keeping the config's consistant does it have any other advantages?

Hi H,

As you said you want to keep the config consistent because you want no one wants to configure second msfc again if first goes down or if you want load balancing.

So there are different ways you can keep the config sync without going into hassel of configuring both the MSFC using "alt" keyword.

Like SRM (Single router mode) if you use this feature whatever you configure on first msfc will sync to the second msfc and second msfc will remain in standby state and as and when first msfc goes down second msfc who have the same config will rtake over.

The link which I posted in my earlier post will guide you how you can configure different ways of config syncronisation and redundancy.

HTH

Ankur

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content