Views
Helpful
Replies

static arp

stephen_baugh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Fogive me if this sounds like a stupid question, but is there any way of creating a static arp entry for a range addresses. eg one static arp entry for an entire network.

Cheers

2 Replies 2

arvindchari
Level 3
Level 3

AFAIK arp entries represent port to mac address mappings in the TCAM table. The entries are used by switches to efficiently route frames based on the mac address mappings instead of having to broadcast the entire frame to all devices in the collison domain. Thus creating several collision domains.

If you wanted to broadcast the frame to all given mac addresses on a network, you could make do with just a hub instead of using a switch. Using one arp address for an entire network I dont think would be possible as layer two devices have to be identified using their unique layer two addresses for them to be able to decode the frame and pass it on for higher layers to decode them. If you do want to send a frame across to all devices on the segment, just address it to the mac address of all 1's.

Really doesnt make sense to me though :)

Then again Im a noob so dont take my word for it :D

Hi

The reason I ask the question is, Ive got a checkpoint firewall performing source and destination NAT which means I have to configure proxy ARP for every translation, Just wondered if I could have just on config change on the a switch

Cheers