cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Static IP address for Dialin users

ittiadmin
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured Dialin access for remote users on 2620 router using 8 port Analog module card(NM-8AM) with IP address assigned Dynamic(from the Pool of IP address) and its working fine.

Our customer wants to have static ip address assigned to each modem ports .They dont have radius/tacacs+ server installed.

Any help on how to configure static ip address for remote dialin users is appreciated.

Reagrds,

Raj

4 Replies 4

rmciver
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Raj

If you want to assign static ip's to each, you could just take off the dhcp and tell the users to hardcode an ip into the dialup connection. You could also use DHCP from a Win2k box. Configure the DHCP server to assign ip's based on user MAC addresses. By doing this you take away from the problem DHCP try's to resolve. If your client needs to keep track of performance or connection data, try to do it by login account or Id.

Have fun!

Randy McIver

Cap Gemini Ernst & Young Consulting

Thanks for your reply, I am connecting the Router on the DMZ network and customer dosen't want to Open any port on the firewall for DHCP. Remote dialin users(Vendors) refuses to add static IP on their Laptops/PC. IS their any configurable method on the router itself for assigning static IP address.

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

YES..you can use dialer map command under the async interface which belongs to that modem port to allocate static ip address based on username

So lets say you want to assign ip address 1.1.1.1 to the user with username "preet" who dials in to modem 1 which belings to interface async 1, you can configure

interface async 1

dialer map ip 1.1.1.1 name preety

Configure the same for each and every modem lines. OR

You can configure 8 different async interface with one ip pool in each but that ip pool has onlt one ip address. Like

interface async 1

peer default ip address pool async1

!

interface async 2

peer default ip address pool async2

!

ip local pool async1 1.1.1.1 1.1.1.1

ip local pool async2 2.2.2.2 2.2.2.2

and so forth..

Thanks, My problem is resolved.