Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Static routes pointing to other routers over a LAN

I have two routers (R1 and R2) connected to the same LAN. From R1, I need to get to a subnet that is behind R2. If I put a static route in R1 like:

ip route 11.10.0.0 255.255.0.0 10.0.0.2

where 11.10.0.0 is the subnet I want to get to

10.0.0.2 is the LAN port IP address of R2

(FYI: The LAN port IP address of R1 is 10.0.0.1)

Will this static route be removed from the routing table of R1 if R2 or the LAN port of R2 fails?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Static routes pointing to other routers over a LAN

No, it will never be removed from the configuration. It will only be removed from the routing table if the R1 interface fails or is admin down. As soon as the interface is restored it will be inserted back into the routing table. It R2 fails, then you have a problem. Without dynamic routing R1 will always send, or attmept to send, all packets destined for 11.10.0.0 to R2. If you want to have alternate paths to 11.10.0.0 you should look into dynamic routing. Does this help?

Kevin

1 REPLY

Re: Static routes pointing to other routers over a LAN

No, it will never be removed from the configuration. It will only be removed from the routing table if the R1 interface fails or is admin down. As soon as the interface is restored it will be inserted back into the routing table. It R2 fails, then you have a problem. Without dynamic routing R1 will always send, or attmept to send, all packets destined for 11.10.0.0 to R2. If you want to have alternate paths to 11.10.0.0 you should look into dynamic routing. Does this help?

Kevin

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content