cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

static vs dynamic routing, when connecting 3 routers together

islj
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 1600 router at remote site_A with two WIC cards, one is connecting to H.Q. over a 256k line. the other card is connecting to a remote site_B over a 56k line. My question is should i use a static route on each router or a dynamic route like rip?

1 Reply 1

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You can use either one of them. Advantage of using a dynamic protocol is that its administration hassle free...But remember RIP has a hop limit of 15. .In your case, since the network is real small, you can use static routing.

Advantages of using static routing here, is that, the wan bandwidth wont be utilized for sending frequent RIP updates.

If you are planning to use dynamic routing protocol instead, try using EIGRP instead of RIP. Or if you are stuck with RIP, then use, "ip rip triggered" command, on the wan interfaces, to force only triggered updates to be sent over the wan, instead of sending updates periodically.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: