cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Still unable to configure a FE as a trunk port on 2621 router for "router

kjjscharff
Level 1
Level 1

Please see the previous messages below exchanged on this site. The boot version on the router is as specified below. However, when in the interface mode, the encapsulation command is non-existent, so I am unable to encap the sub-interfaces with ISL and a VLAN number.

Does anyone out there have any other ideas. I am stumped.

Thanks.

For a LAN classroom lab I am teaching , I am attempting to route several VLANS from a Catalyst 3524 switch via a Cisco 2621 router. The switch port on the switch is configured as a trunk switchport and is connected to F0/0 on the router. My problem is that when I attempt to use the command "encap ISL 10" command on the router F0/0.10 interface, the command is rejected. When I use the help menu, the "encap" command is not even listed. Is it possible my router IOS load does not support this feature? Does the switch need to be configured and connected to the router in order for ISL to be recognized? Any help would be appreciated.

The router IOS is: Version 12.1 (3r) T2, Release Software (fc1)

Outline | Subscribe

| Bookmark | E-Mail this Message

r.crist

Apr 6, 2004, 10:48am PST

You need to be running at least IP Plus code on the router to be able to configure sub-interfaces and trunk on the FE interface. Check the name of the binary file that the router is loading at boot. If it's not c2600-is-mz.121-3r.T2.bin, you'll need to download and tftp an IP Plus version of code.

3 Replies 3

preddyi
Level 3
Level 3

If you are using the IOS image with IP Plus feature set suggested by Crist, there should not be any problem.

Pls check the IOS image you are running.

Else try using the newer version available IOS with IP Plus, 802.1Q trunking and ISL VLAN feature set.

c2600-is-mz.12.2-8.T --> requires 64MB/16MB DRAM/Flash

I have experienced this problem as well. I was using a version of 12.1 Enterprise Plus and still had the problems. Only solution I found to this was to upgrade to 12.2.

bcbvale
Level 1
Level 1

post withdrawn