cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

storm-control values

dw1756
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using a 2924XL and am trying to control some multicast and broadcast storms. Any suggestions as to good values to use for the rise and fall perameters? Also, what are the suggestions for the actions to be taken?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

a) What are the numbers shown by

sh port storm-control multicast ....

command?

b) I forgot to mention that you need to configure

port storm-control multicast action filter

to filter out the multicasts above the rise thershold.

The default action doing nothing.

Regards,

Milan

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Default values should be OK.

If you know quite well the traffic in your network you can increase them a little.

This is what I'm using on a port connecting a Ghost (an application using multicasts) server to my network:

port storm-control broadcast action filter

port storm-control broadcast threshold rising 2500 falling 1500

port storm-control multicast threshold rising 3000 falling 2000

Regards,

Milan

If the defaults are supposed to work, then perhaps what I'm getting are not broadcast or multicast storms. Sounds like I need to do some more digging.

a) What are the numbers shown by

sh port storm-control multicast ....

command?

b) I forgot to mention that you need to configure

to filter out the multicasts above the rise thershold.

The default action doing nothing.

Regards,

Milan

I started off with the defaults, and yes, I did set the action to filter.

However, your previous message led me to look further under the assumption that this is not a broadcast or multicast storm. A co-worker noticed on the serial interfaces some errors in additions to the broadcasts. We then noticed a pattern on other serial interfaces. Turns out, a bad T-3 on our carrier's network was causing errors on numerous T-1s connecting to several routers.

So, the assumption turned out to be correct - it was not a broadcast or multicast storm. Although both were higher than normal, the percentages never rose above 20%.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: