Views
Helpful
Replies

Storm Control

rezaalikhani
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

What are the best values when configuring storm control on an interface (broadcast, multicast and unicast.

Thanks

reza

4 Replies 4

s.niyamangkoon
Level 1
Level 1

it's depending on how much your broadcast and multicast traffic you expect. from my experience, i limit b/c and m/c to 10% each for normal customer traffic. if you have many application sending multicast and broadcast, like video-conference, database collaboration and so-what application, it might be suitable to increase the ratio.

hi,

in my network, we do have network sharing file, which contain video, music files, if i set this b/c or m/c to 10%, will it stop this file sharing?

pls advise

i want to set this b/c or m/c or unicast traffic, just want to prevent in future, if there is any virus spread or any network looping or any network broadcast storm which may congest network issue.

pls advise

Hi,

I wouldn't set storm-control for multicast too high because then it could stop all traffic on your switch because when the threshold for multicast isnreached then even broadcast and unicast are dropped.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

hi,

so in my scenario, it is not using multicast and broadcast for video / music streaming, right? as we only shared the network drive to access, and play the video and music.

1. so it will not influence my m/c or b/c percentage, right?

2. pls give me guideline, and to set m/c or b/c is good to help to prevent when there is a lot traffic such as broadcast storm/virus spreading, right?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: