cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

STP on Catalyst 4006 running native IOS

s.kadagathur
Level 1
Level 1

Is STP necessary on single 802.1q trunk and etherchannel links? Does the IEEE STP enabled by default when one configures the switch with trunks and Vlans? If I am correct spanning tree protocol to be enabled for switches connected with redundant links. I do know about uplink fast and backbone fast and is this different from the regular ieee spanning tree protocol. I appreciate the response.

4 Replies 4

donewald
Level 6
Level 6

STP can be disabled on 1q trunks and etherchannel links if desired. This is not advised do to issues with bridging loops that can occur and melt your switching network. STP is enabled by default (PVST) per VLAN spanning tree on all interfaces.

Hope this helps you,

don

I appreciate the response. I understand PVST is a Cisco Proprietary implementation requiring ISL(interswitchlink) encapsulation. Are you referring to PVST+ which support for 802.1q trunks? What about MST(mono spanning tree) which defines one instance of STP for all VLans when Cisco switches are connected to non Cisco switches over 802.1q trunks? Please correct me if I am misunderstood. Thanks.

Hi,

read this http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/103.html#stp

It's a perfect document to explain PVST+ realtion to Mono STP.

Regards,

Milan

Hello,

Thank you very much for directing me to this link. Indeed it is the best document about STP features on Cisco Switches.