Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

STP questions

Hi

how does spanning tree port cost and port priority work.

I think that after determinig the cost to the root then port priority comes into play. am i right.

My question if i have two ports on my switch with port 1 cost to root less than port 2 and if i set port 2 priority good than port 1 prioroty then will my swith select port 2 as root port?

5 REPLIES
Silver

Re: STP questions

The link doesnot explain about port costs or priorites. It tells abt TCN. Thanx

Silver

I am so sorry for the wrong link. Below the section "Election of the Root Bridge" for how to assign the root bridge.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007e71a.html

*** Quote start

When you change the bridge priority value, you change the probability that the switch will be elected as the root bridge. Configuring a higher value increases the probability; a lower value decreases the probability.

*** Quote end

In response to the question. If your port 2 of your bridge is higher than the original root bridge, then the port 2 will be root bridge. Otherwise, if the priority of the port 2 is less than original root, no matter port 1 priority is lower than potr 2, the root will still be remain at the original switch port.

Hope this helps.

Hi

I was just confused please clear me

1. If I have two ports on switch say fa0/1 and fa0/2. Cost to root bridge through fa0/1 is 4 and through fa0/2 is 6 then is there any way that i can make fa0/2 as my root port by changing the port priority of fa0/2.

Silver

Referring to the link that I provided. You can set higher port priority og fa 0/2 to make it as root bridge. Search keyword "Configuring STP Port Priority " in the link.

However, you have to configure the fa0/2 priority is also higher than the remote connected port. Otherwise, the remote switch may be the root bridge due to higher priority.

Hope this helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies