Views
Helpful
Replies

STP Topology Change message to Syslog

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

does anybody know how to force a Cat4000 running CatOS 7.2.1 to send a STP Topology Change message to Syslog?

I'm receiving STP Topology Change SNMP traps but I'd also like to have them logged in my syslog file.

I've configured:

set logging level spantree 6 default

set logging server severity 6

and I'm receiving "%SPANTREE-6-PORTBLK: Port 3/22 state in VLAN 1 changed to blocking" messages to my syslog but nothing about STP Topology change.

What else should I configure?

Regards,

Milan

2 Replies 2

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Milan,

I am aware of the SNMP Trap Message Enhancements made in cat5k .

Spanning-Tree Topology Enhancement--Provides a Cisco-defined SNMP trap notification and syslog message for a spanning-tree topology change.

You could check if the same feature is also available for the Cat 4000 and this would enable you to receive the syslog messages for STP topology changes .

Here's the doc for Configuring System Message Logginghttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800e47c0.html

Hi Thomas,

thanks for your response.

As I said, I'm receiving SNMP trap notifications about STP topology changes already (I had configured set snmp trap enable stpx).

But I'm not reciving syslog messages about it.

I had done everything described in your document and it doesn't work. I'm receiving STP level 5 or 6 messages about port blocking, forwarding, etc., but nothing about STP topology change.

Regards,

Milan