Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

STP vs. Ether Channel ; Which one is prefer?

Is Ether Channel an always prefer method comparing to STP? Why? Is there any scenario to use STP better than Ether Channel?

5 REPLIES
Purple

Re: STP vs. Ether Channel ; Which one is prefer?

Fundamentally, STP and EtherChannel are two different technologies so it does not make sense to compare them except in certain circumstances. The one circumstance where you can compare them is when you have multiple links between the same two switches. In such a case, it makes sense to group these links into an EtherChannel. If you do not do so, STP will disable all but one of the links and you do not get the benefit of these multiple links.

Hope that helps - pls do rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Hi,

Simply put Ether Channel is the technology to combine exisiting Ethernet links and achieving higher bandwidth which is otherwise restricted cause of Layer 2 limitation e.g. can you achieve 4 Gbps bandwidth using GBIC modules/interfaces? The ans is NO. In that case, Etherchannel will bundle all the four inidividual interfaces/GBICs and give you a bandwidth of 4 Gbps.

STP, on the other hand is a technology that will enable you to give a Fault-Tolerant situation when in a Looped environment.

If you require more info please feel free to revert back and I shall be glad to give you more info.

Hope it helps, if it does please rate.

I need to choose one either Ether Channel or STP. Can not enable both technology at the same time. Am I right?

Purple

Hi,

As I indicated earlier, these are separate non-mutually exclusive technologies.

So you can use both at the same time. In fact, when you configure layer 2 EtherChannel, you can then run STP over the port-channel interface formed by the EtherChannel.

So the simple answer to your question is yes; you can run both at the same time.

Hope that helps - pls do rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Hi,

You can very well enable both at the same time, infact you all the Cisco Switches are by default enabled with STP, and most of the times you needn'd do anything to enable them.

However with respect to the Ether Channel, its generally 'created' between 2 switches where in you require 'more bandwidth' than the physical port can offer.

If it helps, please rate.

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Views
Helpful
Replies