Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

straight-through cable on 3560

Hello,

I?ve pluged in a straight-through cable on my 3560 switch to connect to another switch but the there is no link at all , is there a console command to change the config of the fa0/1 port so that it makes the crossover by software?? i have tried mdix auto but without any positive results.

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: straight-through cable on 3560

What's the other switch model ?

According to

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a0080331b76.html

"When connecting the ports to other devices, such as switches or repeaters, you can use a two or four twisted-pair crossover cable. Figure B-6 shows the two twisted-pair crossover cable schematics. Figure B-8 shows the four twisted-pair crossover cable schematics.

Note You can use the mdix auto interface configuration command in the CLI to enable the automatic medium-dependent interface crossover (Auto-MDIX) feature. When the Auto-MDIX feature is enabled, the switch detects the required cable type for copper Ethernet connections and configures the interfaces accordingly. Therefore, you can use either a crossover or a straight-through cable for connections to a copper 10/100, 10/100/1000, or 1000BASE-T SFP module port on the switch, regardless of the type of device on the other end of the connection.

The Auto-MDIX feature is enabled by default on switches running Cisco IOS Release 12.2(18)SE or later. For releases between Cisco IOS Release 12.1(14)EA1 and 12.2(18)SE, the Auto-MDIX feature is disabled by default. For configuration information for this feature, see the switch software configuration guide or the switch command reference.

You can use Category 3, 4, or 5 cabling when connecting to 10BASE-T-compatible devices. You must use Category 5 cabling when connecting to 100BASE-TX-compatible devices.

Note Use a straight-through cable to connect two ports only when one port is designated with an X. Use a crossover cable to connect two ports when both ports are designated with an X or when both ports do not have an X.

This applies only to switches on which Auto-MDIX is disabled. "

, i just entered the room where all the machines are, i think its a 3com switch and i get no link on my cisco fa0/1 port. any software suggestions??

Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Try

int fa0/1

shut

no shut

exit

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content