Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Strange error

I have a Cat 4006 (SW 5.5(1) ) This has a 6 port GBIC module fitted. Every now and again, 5-8 times a day I get the following message logged

%SYS-4-P2_WARN: 1/Invalid traffic from multicast

source address 45:00:00:d6:0c:00 on port 2/1

Port 2/1 is connected to a 3548 which is not logging any errors. Tried looking up the MAC for manufacturer but it seems to be invalid.

Any thoughts people?

Ian

4 REPLIES

Re: Strange error

Thanks, I had seen that. The trouble is determining which of the 48 clients on the 3548 edge switch is giving this error. It only seems to happen at random times. Its not hurting the network but I hate to see the errors in the logs!! Maybe I am just too picky.

Silver

Whenever you receive the error on the 4006 switch, go to 3548 switch, and issue a "sh mac-address-table" or "sh mac-address-table multicast" and it should show which port on the 3548 the unknown source mac address "45:00:00:d6:0c:00" is attached. The client on that port is generating this multicast packet and hence the error.

Done that, and there is no record of the multicast address. So, what to do next? Then the heavens smiled on me. Support of this network is being taken from my company and given to another. Cheap shot I know, but there we go.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content