Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Strange Problem

Is there a link that shows specific compatibility issue with 3548XL?

We are seeing that after XP migration, some PCs have poor connectivity but some are just fine. We unplugged the cable from the bad PC and plugged into the good PC and it worked just fine. This pretty much proves that the switch and cable is good.

However, after we replaced the 3548XL with 2950, it worked fine. There must be compatibility issue between the NIC and 3548XL. Can anyone shade any light on this?

4 REPLIES

Re: Strange Problem

Actually I saw a similar problem after upgrading to XP. On the NIC property page there is a tab for authentication. Make sure that IEEE 802.1x authentication is turned off. Let me know if this helps.

Thanks Chuck for your reply. I am heading a different direction now. I am checking the driver version we are using. We are using Intel Pro 100M and its driver is 2 years old. I am going to update them to the latest version and see what happen. Are you using the latest driver? I wish there is a compatibility issue notice.

I actually worked as a contractor to Intel and even they were having problems with their NICs.

Hi,

there are several Intel NICs problems described in http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/46.pdf.

Nothing specific for 3548XL.

But I would definitely upgrade to the latest NIC driver.

I've noticed similar problem in the past with some 3Com NICs. The solution was not using the power management on the NICs.

There are also some 3500XL/Intel bug reported (CSCec00968, CSCdt22401, CSCea93839, e.g.). Use Cisco Bug Tool http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/launch_bugtool.pl to find other possible bugs.

Regards,

Milan

Views
Helpful
Replies