cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

subnet address 192.0.0.0 with 255.255.255.0 mask inconsistent

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

When using the config maker software to setup my routers the ip address and subnet we are currently using error with subnet is inconsistent with mask. I was able to manualy set the ip address to this through the console. The problem I have is that I can ping workstations from the 192.0.0.0 network to the 192.168.0.0 network with out a problem but I cant ping workstations from the 192.168.0.0 network to the 192.0.0.0 network.

the show ip route command lists routes

the trace command shows the hop to the 192.0.0.0 router

if I telnet into the 192.0.0.0 router I can issue ping comands to the workstations on its network and get responses.

Is it possible the router is discarding the packets do to the ip address being inconsistent and is there some logging that will show this?

Darin

3 Replies 3

s.lemberg
Level 1
Level 1

hi darin,

is it possible to provide me your configurations ? you can send it

to my mailaddress. after analysing we can discuss it on the forum.

regards

sascha

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Without knowing your exact configuration or intent, on the surface, it looks like you are doing a very bad thing.

By using 192.0.0.0 as an address, you are encroaching on potentially thousands of valid "owned" IP addresses.

If you'd like to use the 192.168.X.0 IP schema (X=0-254), you'd be well within specification for this address range. If 254 subnets are not enough, then you could use the class B Version; 172.(16 -> 31).0.0 or the Class A version; 10.0.0.0.

By using the 192.0.0.0 /24 address, you are summarizing more than 65,000 subnets, most of which do not fall into the RFC private IP address range.

Perhaps you can post your intent and your topology and get additional guidance.

Scott

mbjohnson
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have the commands "ip subnet-zero" and "ip classless" in there?

--Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: