cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Subneting Campus: When proceed?

carlos.castillo
Level 1
Level 1

Actually I´m the networking manager in a switched campus with a 6509 in distribution layer and 3548 or 3524 in access layer. We´re considering subnet in order improve the networking perfomance. The applications are totally client/server (mail, AS400, etc. ) and those are located in a "farm"and support 500 users.

The 6500 already has the routing module. But, how can I evaluate the subneting convenience? Broadcast vs Routing process ?

The enviroment is NT and proximely will migrate to W2000.

Thanks for your participation.

2 Replies 2

tstevens
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If by "routing module" you mean the MSFC on the 6500, then Broadcast vs routing process is not an issue. The Sup/MSFC combo does at least 15Mpps unicast IP routing with full QoS & ACL configurations supported, so there is no performance penalty for crossing a layer 3 boundary.

So I would choose routing over large broadcast domains any day.

If by routing module you mean the MSM (separate line card, not a daughter card on the Sup) then the perf is (I think) about 4-6Mpps for IP unicast, still not bad, but there is no good ACL or QoS support so you need to consider if that is needed.

carlos.castillo
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, the switch has a MSFC card. Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: