cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Subnetting a single static ip

dehalgren
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process of acquiring a static ip address from my isp time Warner. I only want to pay for a single static, but I have a number of machines I want to put on the internet, a web server and a e-mail-server. Using a cisco router, a

Cisco Rv 120w. Can I assign the static ip address my isp gave me to the Rv 120w and then crate a vlan to assign addresses to various computers. Or is this something my ISP does. I get the impression from the tech guy at Time Warner that this is something they do.

What would be the best setup.

4 Replies 4

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Are you getting one host address?

It looks like this device configures with device manager.

here is the admin guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rv120w/administration/guide/rv120w_admin.pdf

From what I can tell, you follow the steps with your address from TWC for your wan address.

The RV will do address translation for you. it does appear that you can only connect 4 devices.

Yes, I am only getting the 1 address, but I want to run a web, e-mail and possible a dns server. What is the best way to address this. I was thinking subnetting the ip address to give each server it's own ip, or a vlan or private network  and then do some kind of port forward to the static ip on the router, I am open to any suggestions how to attack this issue

Jonathan hazell wrote:

Yes, I am only getting the 1 address, but I want to run a web, e-mail and possible a dns server. What is the best way to address this. I was thinking subnetting the ip address to give each server it's own ip, or a vlan or private network  and then do some kind of port forward to the static ip on the router, I am open to any suggestions how to attack this issue

You can't "subnet" a single IP address. You can only "subnet" at network level, and the minimum "subnet" size you can have is 4 addresses (1 network, one broadcast and two useable node addresses).

What you need to configure is port-based inbound NAT - so, say, when a connection on port 80 (HTTP) is received by your router it directs it to machine A, when a conenction on port 25 (SMTP) is received by your router, it directs it to machine B and so on.

How you do this depends on your routing device, which you haven't mentioned and I'm not going to speculate on. Most consumer-grade home routers will do this via some kind of GUI - with a Cisco it's a little more complex, but still quite easy to do.

Cheers.

Thanks Darren, I was thinking along the same lines after doing a little reading. I'm a Unix admin so some areas of networking are a little fuzzy and i tend to over  complicate things.. I am going to use a cisco rv 120w small business router which I believe should do the trick.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: