Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Subnetting an IP LAN

Inside our firewall, I use Cisco Catalyst 2924 XL and 3548 XL for our internal LAN. We use Class B private addressing on the internal LAN and only use one subnet currently. What do I have to do to add a second subnet for a particular group of PCs so that they're separate from the original subnet yet can still access the same Windows NT domain controllers for user authentication? Thank you.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
2 REPLIES

Re: Subnetting an IP LAN

You will need some sort of layer 3 device (router, routing switch, switching router) to accomodate traffic between the two subnets.

Anonymous
N/A

Re: Subnetting an IP LAN

You don't mention what type of firewall you use in the config but let's assume a PIX firewall. I would put the particular users in a separate VLAN, readdress the PC's, and install/connect up another NIC in the firewall and setup the firewall to allow the PC's communication to the servers on the

necessary ports/IP addresses. Under the PIX firewall documentation you should find some useful documentation even if you're not using a PIX.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.