cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

subnetting routes

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

I have seen on one of my routers, an ip route where half the subnet goes to one router and the the other to another router, this is done by applying a mask, it was something like ip route 172.19.54.0 255.255.255.0 x.x.x.x, and the other route was 172.19.54.0 255.255.128.0 x.x.x.x, Its something like that, Can anyone tell me how that works

thanks a million

Carlos

6 Replies 6

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

I feel you have got most specific routing entry for the half of the subnet and a entry for the whole /24 network.

The packets destined to first half of the network will take the path/host mentioned in the second route and the packet for the other ips/hosts belongs to the major /24 network will take the path via the ip mentioned in the first ip route command.

If both the routes are pointing towards the same host/ip better you can remove the second one and keep ur routing table neat & clean..

regds

how does this work though, how is it worked out ?

thanks a million

Hello,

You might wonder what a router does in case there is an "address overlap". Well a router will always take the longest match in the routing table. That means it will take the matching entry with the highest value for the netmask (f.e. /25 is better suited than /24).

By the way the "worst address overlap" is when you have a default route 0.0.0.0/0, which covers every IP address. It will however only be used in case there is no more specific routing entry for a packet´s destination IP.

Did this help? Please rate all posts.

Martin

Hi there

That didnt really answer my question, thanks anyway, I wanted to know how come the mask of 255.255.128.0 makes the upper half of the ip range to go to another route, I want to know why we use the .128 mask etc ?

thanks

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

Let's take a simpler example to illustrate this.

Suppose you have the network 10.1.1.0/24 and you wish to route the bottom half via one interface and the top half via another.

Now, you have a 255.255.255.0 mask to start off with. In order to create two halves of the network, you need to have a mask that is one bit longer than the original mask. In this case, this means that you need a /25 mask, which is 255.255.255.128.

With a mask of 255.255.255.128, what you are actually doing is dividing the last octet of the network into two pieces.

10.1.1.0/25 - Includes all addresses from 10.1.1.0 to 10.1.1.127. All of these address have the MSB of their last octet equal to 0 (convert to binary and see).

10.1.1.128/25 - Includes all addresses from 10.1.1.128 to 10.1.1.255. All of these address have the MSB of their last octet equal to 1 (convert to binary and see).

Therefore, using a mask of 255.255.255.128, you have succeeded in splitting this prefix.

Hope that helps.. pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh.

Hi thanks for that thats brilliant, Im not to good at subnetting, is there any docs you can point me to to help me ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: