Views
Helpful
Replies

subnetting

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

I am doing a design of 3 floors each consisting of 100 pc's. I am setting up vlans on each floor. is it best for me to use 3 class c addresses or subnet a class b address, if so how would I subnet this class b address down.

Thanks

Carl

3 Replies 3

m.cucchi
Level 1
Level 1

So, for me is better to subnetting with 3 class C, one for each floor because in any case for troubleshooting issues you can verify immediatly the area involved. Than split the broacast domain can save problem of flooding of broadcast packet.

in any case you can also setup security feature on layer 3 for routing option. I hope this can help you for project design.

baldy
Level 1
Level 1

If you are free to make it up then you should be starting with a 10.x.x.x, 172.16-32.x.x or 192.168.x.x. I normally advise customers to go with a 10.x.y.z scheme where you can use x for site or building and y for vlan. i.e. site 1 floor 2 would get a subnet of 10.1.2.x /24. Keeps it nice and tidy and you can identify where any device is by the address.

how come you are using a 10 address here ? I am trying to stick with the proper class numbering scheme, should I use 3 class c addresses, all on 192.x.x.x ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: