Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

subnetting

hi all, i have been reading my sybex ccna book, it says when i subnet that when i reach the same network as the value of the subnet mask it cannot be used, is this right ?

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: subnetting

I don't really understand you...

Maybe you mean that in case of subnetting there ara reserved addresses like: the first address of the subnet (subnet network address) and last address of the subnet (subnet broadcast address).

Ans also when you disable ip subnet-zero you can't use the full first and full last subnet.

10.1.0.0/24 it includes the following subnets 10.1.0.0 - 10.1.255.0 /24 case when ip subnet-zero is enabled all subnets can be used, but when it is disabled you can use just the following subnets: 10.1.1.0 - 10.1.254.0 /24

Regarding only one subnet: 10.1.50.0/24, you can use IP address between 10.1.50.1 - 10.1.50.254 for addressing host and 10.1.50.0 is the subnet network address and 10.1.50.255 is the subnet broadcast address.

Bye

FCS

Please rate me if I helped.

Views
Helpful
Replies