cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sup IV Redundancy

bkaren1278
Level 1
Level 1

I have dual sup IVs in a 4507 chasis. when i show redundancy status it shows that one is "cold" how do i make it so they automatically failover to one another?

8 Replies 8

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Can you revert whether you are running same ios on both the sups ?

if possible can you paste out the show version o/p of both the sup cards ?

we did face similar kinda probs coz of the ios code mismatches in the sup cards..

regds

Hi Friend,

Do you see as "peer state = 4 -STANDBY COLD" if yes this means that it is working properly.

Can you also post the output from "sh redundancy states"

See if this link can be of any help

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/177.html

Regards,

Ankur

i can only console into 1 of them. sometimes when i reload it changes which one i can console into. (this is still a test environment)

i get this message:

* STANDBY SUPERVISOR *

* REDUNDANCY mode is RPR *

* Waiting for Switchover Activity *

i have attached the sh ver taken from each sup card.

You can console into only the active Supervisor. Can you paste an output of sh mod as well?

why does it change which one is active on reload?

Hi Bkaren,

As I posted in my last post everything is working fine with your switch.

I also checked the sh mod and it clearly states first sup is in active and second in standby state.

If you reset the active sup definetely the standby sup will become active and console is active only on active sup.

If your sup in slot 1 is active console will work for that and console for sup in slot 2 which is in stadby state will be disable and same if you reset the 1st sup which is active it will become standby and standby sup will become active and from then onwards the console will start working.

Remember console port only works with active sup.

Also I think when you run the command"sh redundancy state" you will see one sup in active and second su is standby cold state which mean it is working in way which it should be.

Hope this clear all your doubts

Regards,

Ankur

hi prashanth

hope i m not adding up any confusion to this orginal post,we have seen standby_cold in our reduandt sups wherein we found the ios codes running were different.

once we set that rite it came to standby_hot state,but the only difference is i have this personal exp with the SUP720/3BXL cards installed in some of 7600 boxes.

can u just clarify or throw some lite y this strange behaviour is so...

regds

it's probably rpr plus your running. it will run cold until the ios matches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco