Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Sup720 not booting

Hi

Sup720 with image on Disk0: System boots into rommode so I do:

rommon 3 > boot disk0:

Initializing ATA monitor library...

string is disk0:s72033-ipservices_wan-mz.122-18.SXF1.bin

Loading image, please wait ...

Initializing ATA monitor library...

Self extracting the image... [OK]

Self decompressing the image : #################################################

################################################# [OK]

System boots fine.

Then I try to set boot variable thus;

Router(config)#boot system disk0:s72033-ipservices_wan-mz.122-18.SXF1.bin

Router(config)#exit

Router#

00:10:46: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console

Router#wr

Building configuration...

[OK]

Router#sh boot

BOOT variable = disk0:s72033-ipservices_wan-mz.122-18.SXF1.bin,12;

CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist

BOOTLDR variable =

Configuration register is 0x2102

Standby is not present.

Router#

When I relod it goes back into rommode!

Why the ,12; at the end of the boot variable? Why wont it boot to the image automatically?

Thanks people.....

4 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Sup720 not booting

Hi Ian

I think the right command should be:

boot system flash disk0:s72033-ipservices_wan-mz.122-18.SXF1.bin

Also remember this:

Cat6500#reload

System configuration has been modified. Save? [yes/no]: y

Building configuration...

[OK]

Proceed with reload? [confirm]

i.e. say yes to saving config before reloading.

The number displayed after the image name (12 in your case) indicates the number of times that the Catalyst switch tries to reboot the file before giving up.

Hope this helps

hi

can you try to change the boot command similar to the below one ?

boot system flash disk0:s72033-ipservices_wan-mz.122-18.SXF1.bin

first clear the boot command and add this new command.

Once you are done do check up the variable with show boot command.

instead of BOOT variable = disk0:s72033-ipservices_wan-mz.122-18.SXF1.bin,12; i feel it should be BOOT variable = disk0:s72033-ipservices_wan-mz.122-18.SXF1.bin,1;

regds

It's 12 because, "flash" keyword was left out. It's NOT because it rebooted "12" times. "12" is an indication that it's using internal tftp to load from disk0: and this is because "flash" keyword is left out as I indicated.

If you put in the following:

"boot system flash disk0:s72033-ipservices_wan-mz.122-18.SXF1.bin" it will show up as follows:

"BOOT variable = disk0:s72033-ipservices_wan-mz.122-18.SXF1.bin,1;"

Now, this would not make a difference they will both work. The issue with your sup720 going to rommon is because the RP's configuration register is set to 0x2102 while the SP's configuration register is still set to 0x0. What am I talking about? The sup720 have 2 processors, SP and RP. In order to confirm do the following:

router#remote login switch

router-sp#show version >> You can tell if you are in the SP with the prompt followed by the "sp".

Look for the configuration register at the bottom of the show version output it's probably still in 0x0. Why do this happens? Most of the time when the sup720 was converted from hybrid the SP's configuration revision was not changed to 0x2102.

How would you change the SP's configuration register?

By saving the configuration when the router is booted. just to be sure, I would recommend, changing the configuration register to 0x2102 again and "wr memory". Then go back and do a show version again, it should say 0x2102 on next reload by this time. Please let us know if it corrected the issue to let someone else know the solution.

Please rate helpful posts.

Give the man a gold star! Reset the register to 0x2102, reloaded and the beast auto booted. Great!

Thanks to all for your swift and accurate help. My local Cisco reseller had not got a clue, they suggested a TAC case!

Views
Helpful
Replies