cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sup720 PFC upgrade to PFC3B

esdouglas
Level 1
Level 1

I just found out(the hard way) that I need the PFC3B card in my Sup720 in order to have Netflow data include the TOS field. Is the PFC a field upgradable component on the Sup720? If so, is it pretty straight forward to upgrade and do I need to upgrade the version of IOS(native mode) or CatOS (hybrid mode) to support the new card?

3 Replies 3

szahid
Level 3
Level 3

Couple of things.

1. PFC is a field replaceable unit ( FRU ) which means you can just buy a PFC3-B and put it on baseboard to make it a sup720-3B , however , there is one caveat . There are certain features that you may still not be able to use ( ERSPAN is one example ) if you just upgraded the PFC , but not the base board . Even though you wont be able to tell the difference between the 2 , there are still some differences if you were to buy a new sup720-3B or converting an existing sup720-3a into a sup720-3b but just upgrading a pfc on it , so please weigh your options.As I said , ERSPAN will work on a new sup720-3B , but not on a sup720 that is just upgraded from sup720-3a to a 3b system.

2. Typically a code upgrade would be required to support a new card depending on which code you are on right now.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

That is good news for me. In regards to features that won't be supported, it sounds like it won't be any less than what I have today. But to be sure, is there a document that list the features that won't be supported if I go from a PFC3A to a PFC3B?

And as far as CatOS and IOS go, what are the minimum versions to support the PFC3B. We are running 8.4(2a) CatOS and 12.2.18(SXF10).

the minimum release is 8.4(2)

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/relnotes/ol_4498.htm

I am not aware of a document specifically listing caveats / features that you will get from going from sup720-3a to 3b. It is true that you wont lose any.

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco