Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Super newbie question regarding PPP/LCP

Hello,

I have access to Cisco 1700 and I'm wondering if it will be useful for my needs.

I am involved in developing an embedded device that has PPP capability. I'm trying to test if the device "silently discards" LCP packets with the code discard request (11), Identification (12), and Time-remaining(13).

I could write a little program to send these packets out to the PPP link but I'd rather use the router to do that for me if it is capable. So is it? Is there an option that I can set that will send these packets out during the LCP negotiations? Or is there a command that lets you send out any LCP/IPCP/IP/etc packets at will? Worst (or best) case scenario, is there a command (maybe a debug command) that will let you create any packet arbitrarily and send it out to any link as you choose using raw binary/hexadecimal numbers?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES

Re: Super newbie question regarding PPP/LCP

ne1?

If none of this can't be done with the 1700 or any other Cisco routers, please let me know so.

I'm going to try to help out here. I've seen the LCP's from BRI's and Async Dial-ups and I am pretty certain that there aren't any commands to manipulate the LCP's coming out of the interface. If you need that, its better to use internal UNIX programs where you can script ANYTHING OUT. You can use a router and try to make it send a "discard request", Ident and Time-remaining but it would be at the normal hest of the programing inside of the cisco IOS to send those.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content