Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Supervisor 1A or Supervisor 2 on Catalyst 6506 ?

We have 1 core switch 6506 with Supervisor 1A. We plan to buy additional Catalyst 6506 for redundancy.

What's better to buy? Supervisor 1A or Supervisor 2? If we buy Sup2, we must also buy Sup2 for our old 6506? We plan to use HRSP for routing failover.

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Supervisor 1A or Supervisor 2 on Catalyst 6506 ?

I would say best to buy a Sup 2, but then again i don't know what you are planning

on doing with the switches, you really have to see what the requirements are that you need and then choose.

Community Member

We need to provide redundancy and fail-over. 2 6500 will be core switches connecting other distribution switches (3548). Also we would like to provide QoS for SAP R/3 traffic.

Cisco Employee

If you plan to use it for the core and have the budget i would go for SupII's

Community Member

A couple of points to consider...

If both core switches are exactly the same, it will be easier to monitor and resolve any IOS upgrades, bug issues, configuration options.

Also, if you maintain spare hardware, you will only need one spare for both switches if you keep them identical.

Configuration requirements and budget should drive your hardware selection. Of course, you cannot predict the future, so it is often a safe bet to go with the most robust solution that is affordable.

HTH

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content